Wednesday, October 17

5 things about Andy

Yo! I'm Andy but people do not usually call me that. That leads to the 1st interesting/stupid fact about me...

1) My various Nicknames

My various nicknames centre around certain characteristics (at least that's what I think came behind the thinkings behind my nicknames) about me that older men usually possess.

My vjrc teammates call me "ah pek".


My vjrc seniors call me "uncle"



while my BMT sectionmates called me "lao pei".



For syafiq's sake, I shall translate "lao pei" as a hokkien referral word to "my father" when used in a context where you are talking about your father to your friend.

As for why I have been given these nicknames, I really do not have not much of an idea. However, the following facts about me may provide some insights to the thinkings behind my nicknames.

2) Drinking coffee

Unlike some of you who may like nothing more than to be able to chillax in a corner of starbucks or some cafe, enjoying a nice brew of coffee,



what I enjoy doing on most days, or even everyday, is to just grab a cup of kopi from the nearest kopitiam and chillax at the kopitiam.



In fact, I'm an "ah pek" with a sweet tooth, just kopi for me, no kopi-o, kopi-o-kosong, kopi-bo or whatsoever combos.

On days where I'm too early for school and I'm going to school from clementi MRT, I'll drop by clementi hawker centre, grab a cup of kopi pua seo (hokkien for "half hot" a.k.a. coffee with milk, served warm), grab a seat, stone & enjoy my kopi & watch the world go by before reality sets in again and I proceed to school. So anyone who's early for school next time, if you're interested in drinking some kopi or teh, can come join me!!

3) I'm a very slow person & I'm a sleep person

Most of the time when there isn't any need to rush, I'll take my time to do stuff. I feel that its therapeutic to take things slow but my mum always scolds me for being slow. She insists that none of my dad's and her genes have been inherited by me since they're all very "fast" while I like to take my time. My slowness "translates" to my studying and doing my homework as well. I find that it usually takes me much more time to study and/or do homework as compared to my peers. I find that that's ok as long as I understand whatever I'm studying except that...

I'm a sleep person, I need at least 6 hours of sleep on 1 day and then at least 7 hours of sleep on the next and the cycle alternates, while I need at least 8 hours of sleep on 1 day of the week. If not, I'll be stoned-faced, more unresponsive and generally listening with my ears closed to the lecturer on the next day.. yah so anyway I sometimes worry if I'll be able to catch up on course material since I need to sleep but I cannot study fast!!

4) I'm a rather chinese person

I speak chinese at home, I listen to chinese songs and I can process my thinking in either english or chinese (I think..). and I think one reason my vj teammates called me ah pek is because I'll occassionally use a 4-worded chinese idiom during our conversations that they have either not heard of or do not understand (because most victorians jiak gan tang (hokkien slang for eating potatoes?? a.k.a. westernised) ). Anyway, I also came from a chinese SAP school Dunman High School which may account for one of the reasons why I'm a rather chinese person..

5) I love playing sports

Besides climbing, I enjoy playing soccer and tennis as well. I still get occassional soccer sessions once or twice a month on weekends but I haven't had the chance to play tennis ever since school's started. I enjoy playing different sports as well as trying out new sports partly because of the adrenaline rush due to sports and maybe also because of the new skill sets you pick up when you learn a new sport. So anybody who wants to play sports next time can jio me lol..

If you haven't realised by now, I've typed more words as compared to most people and some people especially my vj teammates say I'm long-winded.. So there are times when I embark on a long explanation on something and my teammates will just close their ears and walk away or refuse to listen to me because I have some long long theory explaining the situation when the situation actually deosn't need explaining. Like now lol.. So I hope that in the long run, my NUS climb team teammates do not become like my vj teammates and shut their ears to me or I'll be very sad... no lah just joking..

Anyway abrupt end to this, but next up, GERALDINE!!!