Monday, October 25

If I ever stopped climbing



Haha.looks like everyone is starting to share why they climb, I shall contribute too!

This is my 5th year climbing. It may seem like a lot of years to a new climber, but really, I think I am still an amateur in this sport. Picked up climbing in J1, and for the 2 years of climbing for my JC, I never really understood why I climbed. At first, it was just a sport to me, and I climbed, because it allowed me to keep myself fit, I get to work all the diff muscle groups in my body and not get imbalanced arms or legs. was from netball in seconday school and swimming in pri school. did abit of muay thai in NUS year 2, but none of them has managed to give me something more than just winning a comp to work for. 

Only bouldered in JC, didn’t like lead climbing and yes, I didn’t bother finding out more abt climbing, and a noob I stayed even when I entered NUS. My first year was probably one of the hardest for me in climbing. I had training almost everyday, and I asked myself why I continue to push myself, is it for friends? Is it for personal glory? Or is there something out there I have yet to discover? And of course, at the end of my year 1 in NUS, I still had not discovered it.

But slowly as I was forced to take part in the Open Women’s category due to certain circumstances, I realized that if I ever want to continue in this sport and see some advancement, I need to get out and see the bigger world of what climbing is about, and not just competing. And yes, made my first trip to Ipoh, Malaysia with the team, I was then introduced to the realm of real rocks. All my life I had been climbing on plastic. And to think I ever felt contented before. Did my first lead climb at IPOH, started to get really excited, finally, I began to see something worth training for, the feeling of PSYCH ( which seems to be the keyword of this whole sharing, thanks for Jia Wei..) when I get out and start going for my first clip, or first handhold. Being able to be at the rock/boulder and imagine myself finishing it totally drove me. I remember while in Rocklands, as I was sitting down and preparing to lift myself off the ground to possibly send my project, there was such a rush of adrenaline and psych that overcame me. I cannot describe how it feels except I felt I could climb forever and not rest. Yes, this psych is what pushed me. And of course, when you have finally finshed something you worked on for so long. Nothing can beat that feeling of exuberance.

And anyhow, a though just came across, how many people can actually say they go overseas with a purpose other than for a “holiday/break?”. Haha. I can only think of maybe diving that gives this excuse, but climbing, really, holiday,break plus CLIMB. I cannot ask for anything more. I think we are lucky that Singapore is small, and having no proper natural rock to crank on(cept for dairyfarm), going overseas to climb is a really good excuse=) I have many friends that ask me “ what is so good about going everywhere and climbing”? I just smile at them and say, “ would you like to give climbing a try?”

And who can forget the people you climb with? It’s the energy around that keeps me going. As much as it hurts my ears at times to hear loud screams of energy in the gym or in the comps, I love hearing it, because I know there are people around me just as passionate as I am about climbing. Thanks guys, for making climbing so much more enjoyable=)


Trust me, take the first step out into the world of natural bouldeirng or climbing, you never look at plastic the same way anymore. Climbing is not just bouldering in NUS or Climb Asia. For those going on their first climbing trip, I hope you have a great time and desire for more! There is so much out there to discover! a whole new culture to be exposed to, you get to meet climbers from around the climbing globe, learn from each other, make new friends, and yes, more rocks to climb on!

i am still learning.....everyday i learn something new related to climbing. if only i can just study CLIMBING. like what jud once said. i would definitely work my ass off just to get into that course man!

If I ever stopped climbing? I dare not imagine….