Monday, October 25

Climbing and me

Thanks Jiawei for starting this thread. I actually wanted to write about this very topic a couple of weeks back, when the topic of how the team blog has evolved to become a entertainment blog was broached during one random talk-cock session.

I am still climbing because I love the people I climb with (even though my face may say otherwise). It has come to a point when I can't find common ground with non-climbers. The daughters, my fantastic batch, the psyched juniors. And enthusiastic dinos who are ever willing to share. And when you go out to climb in other countries, you see people who are so passionate about it they live and breathe climbing. And that's when you see how they try to infect you with their verve and helpfulness. I was a selfish climber, only caring about beating others in competitions, only wanting the gym for myself. Now, I would like to give back to the community and lifestyle that made me such a happier person.

I climb because it offers me endless possibilities. No holds to small, no holds too far, no moves too absurd or impossible. It's just a matter of whether I have the ability and strength to do it. If I want it bad enough, I will do something to get there. I relish the challenge. I love it when I get spat out of the wall. The disappointment and surging anger gets channelled into your next attempt, becoming positive energy to get you further.

I climb because it has become natural movement. Like walking. Actually with my busted ankle, walking has become less stable than climbing.

I climb because it gives me an excuse to take my shirt off. Nah...

I climb because it takes my mind off work and all the nonsense that the world throws at us.

And I still climb in the stinky old NUS gym because the laughter and joy draws me back everytime.