Saturday, March 11

Moving On Up

I experienced my first Men's Open vertical competition at Rock On, and I'm really glad to say that I had the priviledge of sharing it with all of you guys -- Adrian, Zhengxin and, of course, my brother (chong chu jiang hu). In fact, I picked up a few lessons on the wall today; thought I'd share them with you:

  1. Route-reading can be incredibly simple. For me, I follow a standard similar to the points Zhengxin wrote in the previous entry -- rest points, clip points and positions, and the various cruxes and possible solutions. 5 mins is just about enough for stuff like that.
  2. Mens Open isn't that scary. For real! The routes are always interesting and can vary in style and format from time to time. The qualifier route was said to have been designed for a quick ascent, and resting excessively would burn your energy out instead. I guess with more experience, I would be able to tell between routes that are more endurance biased vs routes that are better sped thru.
  3. Mens Open is a professional category. Its conduct is simple, and strict. They are not going to change much over time, but the judge(s) can be quite picky about the various O/B marker. Of course, if you have a style of climbing that clashes largely with social norms (like me, with my exclamation on the wall today that earned me a yellow card), be aware that you might just cross certain social conventions unknowingly.

Welcome to the fold! I may not be good enough now... but I'm sure I'll get there one day. See you at the top!