Thursday, October 28

Why I Climb...

Haha, felt inclined to post after reading through all the inspirational posts below on "why i climb". After all the various reasons being given, most of which I do share too, I post here to offer 1 more!

One of the main reasons I climb, enjoy climbing, and still continue to climb, is the problems it gives me! No, I don't mean like joint problem, shoulder problem, ankle problem etc. those are injuries :/

It's the joy of problem-solving on a route, be it while bouldering or lead-climbing, that keeps me climbing, and coming back for more. Looking at a boulder route and thinking of all the possible ways that I can (picture myself) complete it.. staring at footholds & handholds and wondering what's the best way to use them.. looking at the spaces between holds and imagining all the possible movements that can get me from one hold to the next. Maybe I should hold it like a gaston, do a sit-in on my previous handhold, lock, cross-hand and reach? Or I can hold it like a side-pull, make use of my momentum to skip the closer tile and go directly to the next one, jump and swing up to an almost-perfect dead-point.. sweeetttt! This perspective of "openness" in finding solutions to routes also leads to one of the most fantastic things I like about climbing - there might be so many ways of doing routes, there might also be a "best way" of doing a route, but it's up to you to find which way works best for you (: Because sometimes when one person finds a good beta on the route that works for him, it might not work for you, but perhaps there's another beta that works better for you too! Also, you might find that in trying all the different ways in doing a route, there's one which you enjoy the most and/or are naturally good at, and then you start to discover more about what kind of climbing style you're more suited to, and what kinds of movements you like doing. So, next time if you see me doing the same route in different ways e.g. skipping footholds/handholds, "hacking" etc., you'll know (if you didn't already) that I'm experimenting with all the possible moves that I can imagine doing, and finding what works, what doesn't and most importantly, what I enjoy (:

The "openness" of doing a route, the pleasure of figuring out how to do routes in different ways, and finding the best method that works for me.. that is what really gets me psyched into climbing routes. Basically, it's Why I Climb.