Thursday, March 16

Nostalgic

Just feeling nostalgic about my vertical competitions. I've got something with vertical climbing rather than bouldering as most of my memories are forged from climbing events, not bouldering. Let me share them! (no you do not have a choice in this)

Rockamania 2003
My first competition and my first vertical competition. Still new to climbing. I fell at the 3m mark, ie even before I reach the 'paneled' structure of Temasek's Poly wall. I was wearing the club's shoes then and I fell because I did not know what a sit-in was so I just lunged for the tile, falling off in the process.

Rock On 2003
One of the few lucky year ones who got selected to try out in Rock On. I fell early, about the 9th panel because I did not have the strength to pull a move. Inefficient movements too. The rock-on shirt sucks as they gave me a size M shirt, too small. They actually ran outta size L shirts, thus resorting to gimme such shit. A consolation was that I began to learn level two after Rock On. I've been climbing for almost a year now.

Get High 2003 (i think..)
Joined it despite discouragement from teacher-in-charge. The whole club was gung-ho about it as we thought no one was joining thus increasing our chances to win. Obviously, we were wrong. Fell because I was not mentally prepared to compete. Join for fun only wat.

French School Invitational Climbing Marathon 2004
A mad competition as it was held during valentine's day argh. We got a tsunami-ed boulder problem and two climbing problems. I fell in the 1st climbing route as I was afraid of making an unconventional move that requires gaston-ing and smearing on a flat surface, skipping a sloppy side pull in the process. Shall be daring to skip tiles in the future. Fell in the second route as I was spending too much time caressing the wall for its features. Gotto use features to go up mar..I feel at the 6th panel.

Rock On 2004
Really wanted to do well in this competition. Ended up 4th in novice finals. Missed the 3rd placing as I did not think of matching hand at a pink jug, rather I chose to attempt crossing hand. Shacked wat..so my mind was in disarray. Tried and fell. My best competition as it was my last time competing under TJC.

Rock On 2006


Fell at the 5th panel. My first open cat competition. Wore a polo tee to climb, another first time. The organizers could not churn out the event shirt on time. Fell because I slipped out and did not step on the bolt on the wooden panel as I did not know can step there. Looked gay during the fall as I was holding on to the rope.

Rockamania 2006
We'll see how.