Tuesday, October 4


All about falling

Nope this is not a post about falling in love. This is a post about falling properly.

As I was doing my work, I remembered seeing people falling dangerously during bouldering. Yes I know there are bouldering mats but there is always a possibility that the mats are not placed properly or you falling awkwardly (falling sideways), thus spraining your ankle.

In my humble opinion, a fall must also be executed properly so injuries such as sprains or broken ankles can be minimised. When I fall, I try not to fall with my ankles facing sideways so I will not injure them. I also practise crumple-falling, meaning falling like a ninja. Haha it is not to act 'seh' but this increases the time of impact thus reducing the force exerted back on your legs. In case my ankle is not placed properly, at least the chances of spraining the ankles are lessened.

Falling properly will be more important when we are bouldering outdoors. With just a crashmat, falling the wrong way may sprain your ankle or even cause your death. So maybe when we are doing routes and we see that a climber may potentially fall clumsily, maybe we can spot him/her. Some ankle strengthening exercises can be done too so as to decrease the chances of our ankle giving way to a sprain.