A rope burn occurs when the rope rubs against your flesh when you fall. It is usually due to either
1) improper belaying - the belayer stands in the wrong position and hence the rope hangs below you.
2) Reckless climbing - climbing with the rope in a wierd position (not hanging directly between your legs and below you.
3) Certain Routes have more potential of creating rope burns as well.
First the rope burn will appear white cos the skin is gone. It won't hurt at this point in time.
Then, your rope burn will slowly become red as the blood seeps out and it weeps pus and plasma. If it is at a joint like this one is, it takes super duper long to heal because the scab is constantly broken.
What is the big fuss about rope burn you may ask...scars are manly!
1) you may be a girl
2)Your team-mates will be so tempted to put qing cao you on it that they may go to great extents to do so (ask for a video of weimin being tortured in krabi)
3) It's freaking pain - the qing cai you
4) It's freaking pain (when you bathe)
5) It's freaking pain (when you walk)
6) you can't climb for 1-2 weeks!